Entry into the UK
What we do
The legal services we offer are as follows:
You may wish to come to the UK to take up employment, study or join family and partners that are already here. Our immigration solicitors can assess your eligibility under the Points Based System (PBS) and help you submit a successful visa application if you require one.
The purpose of visiting the UK could be anything from meeting family members to touring the country, getting medical treatment, attending a wedding, doing business or participating in a sports competition.
Depending upon the nature of your visit, you need to apply for a specific visitor visa.
Generally, applicants get six months to stay in the UK but those applying as academic visitors or parents of children at school in the UK can stay for 12 months at most.
Points Based System
If you wish to come to the UK to work or study, our immigration solicitors can assess your eligibility under the Points Based System (PBS) and help you submit a successful visa application if you require one.
Family Settlement Visa Applications
There are many circumstances where it is possible to obtain a visa to join family members that are already here in the UK:
Betrothed/Proposed Civil Partnership
An individual who is settled in the UK is able to act as a Sponsor in order to apply to bring betrothed/proposed civil partner into the UK. There is no requirement for the Applicant or the Sponsor to have lived together prior to applying.
When granted this visa is valid for a 6-month period only. During this 6 months, the Applicant must either marry/enter into a civil partnership with their Sponsor or return to their country of origin.
If the Applicant and their Sponsor marry/enter into a civil partnership and wish to remain living together in the UK, a further in country application must be made as a spouse/civil partner.
An individual who is settled in the UK is able to act as a Sponsor in order to apply to bring his/her spouse/civil partner into the UK.
In order to qualify for this visa, the Applicant and the Sponsor must be in a legally recognised marriage or Civil Partnership.
An individual who is settled in the UK is able to act as a Sponsor in order to apply to bring his/her unmarried partner into the UK.
In order to qualify for this visa, the Applicant and the Sponsor must have been living together in a subsisting relationship for a period of two years prior to submitting the application. This visa allows for any couples who have no intention to marry/enter into a civil partnership to settle together in the UK.
Requirements for Family Settlement Visas
- The Sponsor and Applicant should be 18 years or above
- The Applicant and the Sponsor should intend to permanently live together in the UK
- Information about any previous relationship of the sponsor and applicant will be required (whether married or unmarried)
- Unmarried partners must have lived together for two years minimum and this must be confirmed with documentary evidence
- The couple must possess sufficient funds to support each other without claiming public funds
- The Sponsor must meet the financial requirement. This can be done either by their earning at least £18,600 per annum, holding adequate savings or them being in receipt of some permitted public funds such as PIP or DLA
- The financial requirements will increase if there are children or other dependants involved
- The Applicant must meet the English language requirements
- Adult Dependent Relative Visa (under immigration & EU law)
- This allows British nationals to apply for their elderly parents/grandparents for joining them in the UK to live
- Immediate settlement in the UK can be applied for if the applicant is above 65 years of age and completely dependent upon the sponsoring relative (especially financially)
- The Sponsor must meet the maintenance and accommodation requirements to sponsor their dependant relative
- The UK based sponsor must sign a five-year undertaking to accommodate and provide for the elderly relative without accessing public funds
- The Applicant must be in need of long-term personal care for performing day-to-day tasks and that care must not reasonably be available in their home country
- The Sponsor should be able to meet the cost of any medical treatment required by the dependant relative
UK Ancestry Visa
- This category allows commonwealth nationals over the age of 17 with a UK, Channel Islands or the Isle of Man born grandparent to apply for UK visa
- The applicant may enter and live in the UK for 5 years duration
- Commonwealth nationals having grandparent who was born in the Republic of Ireland prior to 31stMarch, 1922 can also apply
- The applicant will be entitled to freely live and work in the UK, even as an entrepreneur or self-employed person